Liam Walker KC has been instructed to appear as leading counsel, junior counsel and alone, in complex fraud matters prosecuted by agencies including the SFO and the CPS.
Liam retains specialist knowledge of the law of abuse of process and is often instructed to appear in cases in which applications to stay proceedings or applications to dismiss are required. Liam has also been instructed to advise those at the investigatory stage.
Liam is regularly instructed on a privately funded or direct access basis. He is frequently instructed to represent high profile clients. Previous lay clients include a former England football captain, other professional international athletes, professionals in medicine, finance, entertainment, media and company directors.
- R v H – Allegation of complex fraud committed by solicitors. Investigated by NCA (ongoing).
- R v JB – Multi handed case concerning misconduct in a public office and fraud by false representation. (ongoing).
- FCA v MM – Multi-handed fraud prosecuted by the FCA. Large scale multi million pound fraud involving hundreds of thousands of pages of prosecution evidence. Led junior.
- R v LB  – Nurse charged with theft of drugs from NHS trust. Issues included extensive expert evidence concerning handwriting and toxicological analysis. Instructed alone. Acquitted. Press coverage: Daily Mail, Oxford Mail.
- R v W – Boiler room fraud involving electronic analysis spanning tens of thousands of pages of evidence.
- R v CD – Fraud alleging abuse of position by an employee of West Sussex County Council. Issues included the transferral of funds out of the jurisdiction, handwriting analysis and the parameters of admissible hearsay in fraud. Submissions made at the close of the Crown’s case resulted in the matter not proceeding. Instructed alone. Acquitted.
- R v C – Fraud alleging unfair commercial practices and money laundering offences.
- R v L Fraudulent trading and converting criminal property alleging multi-million pound loss to banks.
- R v Q Multi-handed conspiracy to defraud.
- R v K Fraud. £80 million complex multi-handed fraud.
- R v Mpengula Fraud. Leading junior defending an allegation against an employee of Emirates airlines accused of conspiring to fraudulently provide upgrades to passengers with a travel agent.
- R v Biryah and Others Fraud. Allegation of multi-million pound cheating of the public revenue against company director with interests in various foreign jurisdictions.
- R v C and Others Fraud; duty evasion. Six handed multi-million pound conspiracy to evade duty. The matter was stayed three months into the Crown’s case following lengthy and complex defence submissions concerning disclosure. This resulted in the recusal of the presiding judge and the Crown’s subsequent decision to offer no evidence.